November 4, 2011

the painted built ins!

Okay, so I finally got around to taking pictures of the painted built ins! I am SO glad I decided to bite the bullet and paint them white, it makes such a difference in that room! It is so much lighter and airier and just makes me feel so much more at home if that makes sense. I laid out several things that I had for the bookshelves, got out some fall decorations, and my friend Joanna came over and worked her magic and made them look so pretty! Built ins are tough for a minimalist like myself, I h.a.t.e. clutter and can't stand "busy" spaces so its really hard to fill empty shelves with "things" and not have it look cluttered or just plain empty. So, without further ado, here is the before and after!

Before:
I didn't think to take a photo how it was before they were painted, this is the photo I took right after we bought the house so, although its hard to tell how it really was w/out furniture, etc. you can see how dark it was.
021

After:
Okay, so to say I hate the light fixtures in this room would be an understatement. I haaate them. I have been trying to find something that meets the criteria I'm looking for and after looking through thousands (literally) of fixtures, I still can't find what I want. They cast a yellow sheen on every.thing. and its very unattractive lighting and makes everything appear a different color. Ick! So, try to ignore the bad light/fixtures and imagine the walls a creamier white than the built ins (painting them is on the ever growing to-do list). And, we are planning to move the couch. Now that we have a sectional sofa it really cuts the room in half so the goal is to move the couch to the corner and open up the room, stay tuned on that front too!
009x

010x

013x

You can see I took off the shade on the sconce b/c I decided I'd rather have it bare than that hideous yellow light! Maybe I can just say I'm going for an "industrial" feel.:)
015x
Happy Friday and have a great weekend! xo

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me be the first to say its FABULOUS looking! Thank you for sharing your talents!

Kelly said...

It's amazing how much brighter it is in there - Mission Accomplished! I too hate the yellow light that is always cast from lamps & other lighting sources.

Anonymous said...

Love it Mol, your place looks amazing!
~rodent

Jenny B. said...

Love it! And the couch! You know, if you move thencouch and you want the tv somewhere over on the shelves or above the fireplace or somewhere there is not an outlet, the cable company can put one in for you for a pretty reasonable price.

Anonymous said...

It looks absolutely gorgeous, and I love the couch! Really, Molly - amazing. Can't wait to see it in person:)
XXOO
Mom
P.S. Joanna, do you travel?

{hi} said...

It all looks so good! I love the couch!!! We are in need of a new sectional...would love to know where you got yours :)

xo
maris

Robin said...

You have great taste, Molly.

Lauren said...

It looks great! Love the couch.

Lauren

Laura Call said...

I LOVE it... love it all!! Looks absolutely beautiful, Molly!

Jen said...

Wow, they look fantastic! Not cluttered at all. The white really did open up the room, love the hardware too. Your house is so gorgeous. I need to come see it in person!!!

Carrie said...

Paint jobs looks awesome!