May 17, 2012

good food and good music

I feel like the ol' blog has been a bit sparse lately, sorry about that! I haven't had much to blog and I think I've been a little uninspired...hopefully that will change soon. I have been in the kitchen a bit and have some yumminess to share:

For my father-in-law's birthday dinner I made grilled skirt steak with chimichurri sauce, (I don't remember what magazine I got the recipe from) but if you like a sauce with a kick I would definitely recommend it. You could take the seeds out of the jalapeno to take away heat if you'd like but it sure was packed full of flavor and would be good on many types of meat I think!

2 cups fresh cilantro
2 cups fresh parsley
1/2 cup olive oil
3 T dry red wine (such as Shiraz)
3 T fresh lime juice
1 T balsamic vinegar
2 jalapenos, roasted and peeled
1 garlic clove
salt and freshly ground pepper
5lbs skirt steak

In a blender, mix first 8 ingredients plus 2 T of water. Season with salt. Season steaks with salt and pepper, grill to desired doneness. Serve steak with sauce on top.


The taco shells I referenced a few posts below were good! Nothing to write home about really, but if you want a good dinner with minimal effort I'd give it a go! I really think the fresh cilantro on top is a must.

I made a salted chocolate carmel cake for my father-in-law's birthday dessert, it was a fair amount of work and it was good but I do think if you googled a recipe something equally good would show up. There wasn't anything about it that stood out to me that would make it worth it to type the whole recipe out here. :)

Yesterday I made these scones for breakfast and I do think they were some of the flakiest scones I've ever had. Right from the oven while they were still warm they were irresistible! (I may or may not have had 3...and I wonder why I can't get rid of these extra 20lbs I've been holding onto for years?!). I brushed the top of them with cream and sprinkled them with sugar before I put them in the oven ~ delish!

Last night for dinner I made this Pesto Pasta and it was SO good and so easy! (even B liked it and since she is so picky, I'd call that a success!). I'm always looking for good vegetarian dishes so this is a keeper! I haaaaaaaaaaaate asparagus so I left that out but added some pine nuts and I thought that was a good addition. It was such a nice night last night so we set up the card table and ate dinner outside, loved it!

And because I'm a huge fan of The Digital Age and want you to enjoy the awesomeness, click HERE and hear their new youtube release. Enjoy! xo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are becoming quite the gourmet cook, my daughter:) Everything sounds delicious - I'm inspired:)
Lucky Adam and little B!
Sure miss you and can't wait until July:)
XXOO
Mom

Kelly said...

Those scones...YUM!