August 29, 2012

food, life, theology, etc.

Yesterday's post was one of those that wrote itself. You know how sometimes you sit down to type/write something and the words pour out onto the screen/paper and you fee like you had very little to do with the final result? That was me yesterday. That post was raw and a virtual picture of my heart. Thanks to everyone for their sweet comments, texts, phone calls, etc. B is much better and seems to be back to her normal self. As far as lame timing goes, she starts gymnastics tomorrow, ay yi yi....there will be NO beam for her!

After much thought and back and forth I've decided to share more of my heart here. This is really something I feel compelled to do more than something I simply want to do. In my post yesterday one of the "labels" I put on it (you can see the labels at the end of each post, you click on them and it brings up every post with the same label) was theology. Theology is a fancy word for "the study of God" or more plainly, God talk. I don't claim to be some expert on the subject, not by a mile, but I do feel like I occasionally have something to share on/about/in reference to God/His role in my life/faith and so I'm going to give that label a regular appearance on the ol' blog. For those of you who show up only to see pretty pictures and get yummy recipes, no problem, you can scroll to the bottom, see the label and pass if its not something you want to read. Easy peasy, right?! I have no agenda, I have no plan for how often these posts will occur, I just know that they will be a part of my blog and felt some explanation would be helpful. Coolio? (and really, this is nothing new, if you've been reading my blog for any length of time this is something that's already been happening over the years, just now it will be with more intention and/or regularity).

Now for FOOD! I had a couple friends over for lunch yesterday and tried a new recipe. I wanted something light, lunchy, and tasty of course! I tried BLT Corn Salad Wraps. I have no idea where I got the recipe so I'm sorry I can't give credit but here it is:

makes about 5 cups of salad folling

3 ears of shucked corn

1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half

1/2 cup chopped green onions

1 avocado, diced

3 sliced crisp cooked bacon, diced

juice of 1 lime

about 1 tablespoon olive oil

salt and pepper to taste

a good sprinkling of chili powder and smokey paprika

butter lettuce or iceberg lettuce leaves

hot sauce and sour cream for topping

Shuck corn on the cob of all their husks and strings. Over a gas burner, or on the flame grill, char raw corn. Rotate corn until cob is charred on all sides. Allow corn to cool before slicing corn kernels from the cob. This invariably creates corn shrapnel all over the kitchen counter.

Add corn kernels to a medium bowl. Top with sliced cherry tomatoes, green onion, diced avocado, and diced bacon. Squeeze in lime juice. Top with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, and slices. Stir to combine. Taste and re-season accordingly.

Rinse and clean individual lettuce leaves. Serve alongside a bowl of corn salad to serve. To enjoy, scoop corn salad into lettuce leaves, top with hot sauce, sour cream, fold up like a taco and eat em up!

Since I'm a bacon lover and this was a main course, I doubled the amount of bacon (and really, when is more bacon EVER a bad thing?!). I also added about a half cup of cilantro b/c I think it makes almost anything better! I had never grilled corn on an open gas burner before but it was pretty easy and the results were delish! (be careful of flying corn kernels though! Ouch!)

010

In other randomness B and I did end up going to Dallas with Adam and it was a good time! We met his friend for lunch at Twisted Root (the yummy burger joint we went to last time we were in Dallas) and then went and saw a movie.

This is B's hot dog, I had the spicy goat (chipotle sauce, goat cheese, and bacon) burger, a-maz-ing!
006007

And for no other reason than this post is already super random, how random is it to be at Rudy's BBQ in Waco and have so many Santa look-alikes come in?! B thought she struck the jackpot!!
008

Happy Wednesday! xo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun blog! Love it all and can't wait to try that recipe:)
XXOO
Mom

Anonymous said...

Cute! Love your post written from your heart :).

-Susan

Kelly said...

I always love when you write from the heart. And that roasted corn looks amazing!

Emily said...

Go Theology! I love all your posts, Mols! I am praying for B and miss you all- sorry for my lame time lapse in getting back to you, friend. Sending you a hug :)