March 28, 2014

The Big Easy

Sorry for the blog lull! It has really just been kinda crazy around here! But good crazy so its okay. Whew, okay, I want to blog about New Orleans while its fresh in my mind. I picked out a handful of photos to share that I hope I can look back on and be reminded of this great trip. For the past couple of years Adam and I have mentioned several times how we want to go to NOLA, its close enough to drive and we've both never experienced it (Adam went for a conference a couple years ago but he didn't get to "see" the city). So, the 3 of us hopped in the car and off we went on our 9 hour journey. After being in the car for about 6 hours B asked if we could just go home.....sigh, but she quickly realized how nuts that was! Anyhoo, I'm not exaggerating when I say I probably looked for a place for us to stay for at least 8 hours. I was searching for a shotgun house that is so common in NO b/c I really wanted an authentic experience -I didn't want to stay in a generic hotel. Well, I quickly realized most private accommodations only house 2 people as most shotgun houses are 1 room, those that did house more were either booked (as mardi gras was the week before) or they would not allow children under the age of 12! Ay yi yi -needless to say, it was a long search but I really did find the most perfect place for our family of 3! It was a darling updated shotgun house, we had the back portion of the house with its own gate/private entry, it was back further from the street so completely quiet, and it felt really safe. I would absolutely stay here again.


Before going to NO I did a lot of research on kid friendly activities and asked some folks for recommendations. I had a long list and not enough time! Our dear friends Katie and Timmy live in NO so they gave us some ideas and we met up with them as soon as we got into town and ate one of the best meals of my life. It was a long wait to get a table (the restaurant only had about 10 total) but so worth it -if you are headed to NOLA definitely check out Adolofo's - so unique, quaint and delicious! (bring cash and be prepared to throw down...yikes, but worth it!).

The next day it was a bit rainy but still warm, our first stop was café DuMonde for the famous beignets -OMG, to.die.for. That is a stop not to be missed! Then we walked around the French market, walked around the French Quarter, got snacks here and there, walked down St. Charles Ave, did a little shopping, got B rain boots so she could puddle jump, ate a fabulous dinner at this quirky restaurant called Jacque Imo's, and ended the day by getting a fabulous dessert at Sucre'. It was a fantastic day.

The next day we went to City Park and B climbed on trees, we walked around, we went to Story Land, ate lunch at this recommended Pizza joint on Magazine St, I shopped for about 20 mins while Adam and B waited (not so patiently ;), then we drove about 35 mins out of town for a swamp tour. This was fun -we got to cruise around the swamp with about 15 other folks and see lots of gators! Adam and B even got to hold one! (I passed, I was happy to capture the moment instead :)





Inside the swamp tour office -an albino alligator!


 
 

 
When we got back from the tour we hung out at our cute house and napped while we waited for our friends to get off work and then we met up with them and they took us this restaurant that has the "best po boy in town." It was DELISH. I had a fried shrimp po boy and it was awe.some. Then we all came back to our house, put B to bed and the 4 of us had some wine and chatted and caught up until around midnight. It was a practically perfect day.
 
The next day we got up and headed into town, had some beignets (not near as good as Café DuMonde), and walked around the French Quarter a little more, the weather was nicer on this day so the street artists were out and the sun was shining, it was lovely. In the early afternoon we got back into the car and started the long journey home.
 
 


 

 
I love how you can see little B walking around the corner in this photo below:

 
This was a fantastic memory making trip with my sweet family, we all LOVED it (B didn't want to go home)! I think we all agreed a few more days would have been nice. If you love food, beautiful architecture, and enjoy an "alive" city  -you MUST spend some time visiting the big easy, it does not disappoint. xo

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

great stories and fun pics! Glad you all had such a great vacay!
xo
Rodent

Anonymous said...

Have been waiting to see/hear all about this trip! Sounds fantastic!!!! Thanks for capturing it for us:)
XXOO
Mom

Robin said...

Your pictures made NO look more approachable than usual. Sounds like you guys had a great time - and I'm glad the alligator didn't bite Adam in the nose. It looked too close for comfort.

Kemi Winn said...

I've never had any desire to visit NO until I read your blog. Brennan and Adam are mighty brave!