October 15, 2014

coming up for air

Today is the first time in a long time that I've woken up and thought "today might not be so crazy." Up until this point our time in CA has been absolute insanity, running from one thing to the next, trying to get this house in order, etc. I ran errands all.day. yesterday and accomplished a lot that was on my to-do list, today, I still have stuff to do but it feels like today could be the first normal day here in my new life. Lets see...we've been hanging things, cleaning things, organizing things, setting up things, painting things, etc.. All time consuming but all starting to pay off. The house is still not done but its getting there. The main things we're still waiting on: hardware for the kitchen, curtain rods to be delivered for the kitchen and living room, 1 more set of curtain rods for master (one set came jenkity so we had to send it back), custom built valences for the office, custom shelves for the window in the kitchen and laundry room doors. I ordered the carpet yesterday for the guest house, once that gets installed things will REALLY fall into place. There is so much stuff we need to put/set up in the garage apartment but we can't until the flooring is done. Several boxes, etc. are in the house just waiting to go in there -so, the count down is on! I can't wait to get that place functional and get it cleaned out. Poor Adam still doesn't have his office at work so he's been in my office and his stuff is...all over. Grrr. Its hard b/c he really doesn't have any place to call his own for work but I can't get my work space together while he's in it! We're all eager for his new office at APU to be ready even though I'll miss him being around more. We're getting there. :)

Things here overall are going okay, we're all still pretty homesick but I actually made dinner the other night and used the kitchen and it made me feel more normal. I'm ready to get back into a routine. Yesterday B said "I want to go back to Waco." She'll say that out of the blue pretty regularly and its like a dagger in my heart .every.time. I keep wondering how long it will take for CA to feel like home for her...well, and for me too. I love California, I've never ever not loved Pasadena and thought its one of the best cities in the world, but....it stopped being home to me a long time ago and so far that feeling hasn't come back. I know it will just take time. Waco is a unique place...its funny how so many people go there for one reason or another and think they won't stay beyond their initial reason for going (ie college, job, etc,) but they fall in love and don't want to go - I get it. I fly back to Waco next Thursday and I already don't want to leave it. Part of me thinks I shouldn't have taken the work assignment I was offered, that its too soon to go back, but part of me can't wait to land and feel normal again. I hate moving. Yesterday I was early picking B up so I parked in the pick up lane and I walked out to get her (I never park in the pick up lane and knew she wouldn't know to look for my car), I got back to my car and the crossing guard was yelling at me that she was going to call the police if I did that again -apparently you can't get out of your car in the pick up lane -oops. I wanted to scream "Do you see my TEXAS license plates?!! I'm new here and I'm still figuring it out!!" I wanted to get in my car and keep driving...all the way back to Waco and take B to her old school that never threatened me with the police for an innocent mistake. Sigh. Change is hard, we're all still adjusting and taking a day at a time.

Tonight we invited our neighbors from our 1 month rental house over, we told them they would be the first to "break in the porch" so that's happening. Normally I would want things a little more together before I entertained but the hostess of our group is heading back to New York shortly so it was now or never. I think its good though, forces me to get things whipped into shape and to fill my house with people, which is really how I like it. :) So, I've got my work cut out for me today. Thanks to those of you who keep checking in even though its been a pretty lame blog lately...I'm hoping that will change in the not-too-distant future. More to come. xo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My heart goes up and down with each sentence - and if I feel that way, I can only imagine the roller coaster ride you've been on. So thankful things are "getting there". I will miss seeing your friends and going to your amazing church in Waco, but am also excited to see some of your old friends when I come to Pasadena:)
Prays for you every day!!!
XXOO
Mom

Robin said...

So glad to catch up a little on your news. Pictures of your new house would be most welcome!