January 5, 2015

2014 Review/Word of the year "Intense"

Happy 2015, everybody!! Sorry (not sorry) for the blog lull, it was a crazy couple weeks there! During the second week of December we decided to buy last minute plane tickets and fly to Waco to surprise our friends, it was so good for our souls and some of the best money we've ever spent. Sorry I couldn't get the video of B running to her friends loaded on the post below, I was having technical difficulties. But, I imagine most folks that still read this sad little blog are friends or family of mine and thus saw the video on instagram or facebook so most bases probably covered. :) It was a GREAT week of basking in the company of some of our favorite people (who really, we consider family that we chose :) and eating some of our favorite Texas foods that we miss. It was a life giving trip and we all walked away with full cups. We were home for a  day (and went to a fabulous Christmas party the one day we were home) before hopping in the car and driving to the northwest. Its been a whirlwind around here that's for sure! We hadn't been "home" for Christmas in several years so it was so nice to be back in OR and WA with the fam and watching B with her cousins, good stuff. Cousin Mike spent a couple nights with us upon our return to CA and we all rang in the new year together and he and Adam went to the Rose bowl to cheer the ducks onto victory on new years day! Its been busy for us, but good busy. :) B goes back to school tomorrow (since we took her out of school for a week to go to TX that girl has had a LONG break!), and Adam will slowly resume his work schedule this week as well even though classes don't start for him for another week. It's been a really nice break for the 3 of us after a very intense year. I have dubbed 2014 "intense" -that is the word that comes to my mind when I think of the year as a whole. And on that note, lets re-cap 2014, shall we? :)

Lets see, 2014...to be honest, it was not my most favorite year but it was FULL of great memories and good things that I am so thankful for and its important to acknowledge the good with the bad/hard.

Some of my favorite things that 2014 brought:

~spring break trip to New Orleans, LA with our family of 3

~ADAM GETTING A JOB AT APU

~my sister Stephanie coming to visit us in TX

~Brennan being a flower girl in 2 weddings for 2 of our beloved college students

~Molly Winn Photography's best year and the year I feel like I really became a wedding photographer

~shooting for Magnolia/HGTV's show "Fixer Upper" ~ that was great fun

~Wrapping up 4 years with our college students, this experience was a highlight of my life and I still can't talk about it/write about it without my eyes brimming with tears

~both of my sisters and my sister-in-law got married!

~Our family went to Hawaii with grandma and granddad and had an amazing week (and Adam and I celebrated our 14 year wedding anniversary)

~we bought and re-modeled our new house in Altadena, CA

~re-connecting with old friends from CA

~spontaneous trip to Waco, TX to visit our friends!


The hard things that 2014 brought:

~Adam getting a job at APU, thus causing us to leave our beloved Waco (sniff)

~selling our home in Texas

~moving....need I say more?

~B having to leave her school and start at a new one

~saying goodbye to our friends/church/life in TX -really, this falls into several categories so I'll just leave it at that

~major downsizing

~CA prices on everything!

~me having to essentially "let go" of my business. Yes, of course it still exists but lets be honest, starting over is haaaaaard

~just the general "starting over" in pretty much every regard (thankfully I'm not starting from scratch with friends, so thankful for that!)

2014 wasn't a bad year, my husband got a job in one of our favorite places after a 14 year journey for petesake! Thankful is what we are!! I hope that is clear, I don't ever want to seem ungrateful or like we've taken that huge blessing for granted, it just brought about a lot of hard change is all. I think that's fair to say. When I look back on 2014 I feel like it was really rushed, really intense, really busy and stressful, and just really hard. I'm not sad to see 2014 go but I also feel weird about 2015. Normally by now I feel like I've processed a new year a bit more and made some goals, and had some intentional thoughts about what I want to do better/differently, etc. but this year I haven't had much time for that yet, I think it will come. I know I want to be better than I was in 2014, I know I want to be less busy and more intentional with my friends. I want to enjoy the days more and not feel like I'm just surviving them. I want to be inspired and to take in the uniqueness that California has to offer. I haven't lived here in a long time so I want to re-connect with the aspects of it that I love. I want to let go of the hurt that I feel from people who have chosen to not engage with me in the ways I had hoped. Life is too short for that. Easier said that done, but something I want to work on. I really want to find a church that we can plug into and not keep bouncing around each week. I want to make better food and keep trying new things. I want to make fun memories with my daughter and do new things together. I want to do work that inspires me and be a better photographer. I have lots of thoughts swirling around in my mind, just need to put some intentionality into place I think. :)

This post is getting really long and rambly, if anyone has made it this far...whoa. I think I'm just processing as I type which always ends up being a little much. :)

Well, happy new year all, as always, thanks for reading! I hope 2015 is a great one all around and that this little blog makes it another year! xo

1 comment:

Robin said...

Wonderful to hear you process. Your voice comes through and that warms my heart. I pray your new year shines with the grace of Jesus. Love you!
Robin