June 22, 2015

sickness/Texas/vbs/summer/some thoughts

Whew! I knew this summer would feel like a whirlwind, and so far, it has. We got back from Texas super late Thursday night and we've been easing back into life since. Waco was good, of course. Poor B had a rough start (which means we all had a rough start). B started throwing up while we were stuck in LA traffic at 7am on the way to the airport, it was raining, my gps was re-routing me through downtown to avoid the freeway, etc. It was the recipe for stress and disaster. We practically walked onto our plane and then we headed to Dallas. The decent into Dallas was ROUGH so then, once again, B started throwing up, and I started to feel nauseous as well from turbulence, only have eaten m&m's all day, and my kid being sick -it was AWFUL. Then we exited the plane and the heat and humidity hit us like a ton of bricks and then...B threw up AGAIN. We got our rental car, started the drive to Waco and poor B got sick AGAIN. We arrived in Waco and our gracious friends let us stay in their backhouse where we hunkered down for about 2 days until B came back to life. A rough way to start the trip and also cancelling plans we had in the works for months was hard. Thankfully most things could be re-scheduled and we made the most of every day we had in Waco. We saw lots of friends, went to church, I had many shoots (had to cancel one due to weather -boo!) and just really enjoyed being there, good for the soul.

Since we got back on Thursday we've been celebrating Adam on father's day, catching up with some friends, cleaning a bit, and getting the house ready for our next guest who comes today! My bestie is coming into town from Maine, can't wait to have her here and soak her up for a few days. :) My realtor friend asked me to do some work for her today as well so I'm going to play "Realtor" for the afternoon (ironically in a house we desperately wanted to buy last summer that was a bit over our budget, the new owners did some work and put it back on the market and in a year it has already gone up $184K from the asking price A YEAR AGO!!! Unreal. I'm sure I'll have some house envy b/c its the cutest Janes Cottage but, alas...wasn't meant to be. :)

This morning we dropped B off at VBS at our old church, she was super hesitant to go so any prayers for a good time for my girl would be appreciated. :) I really think when the week is done she will be so glad she went, but she isn't a fan of new things so...fingers crossed!

This Sunday was good, not only b/c it was Father's Day but we went back to a church we had previously tried a couple times and some of the things about it that we weren't fans of (ie no building) have been rectified! It was really encouraging and some new friends came with us so, I'm hopeful this place will work out! I would love to not have to try 9 more churches to find "the one"  -I'm kinda worn out from the previous hunt.

Sorry, this blog post is kinda disjointed and all over the road, which if I'm being honest, has pretty much been the Winn theme of the past year.

On the way to drop B off at VBS this morning I read a church marquee that said something like "What consumes your thoughts dictates your life" -and it got me thinking. I have had some things on "re-play" in my mind this past year, and not necessarily helpful or life-giving things, but rather un-productive things that I want to be better at letting go. I really want to live a life dictated by a heart that seeks the face of Jesus, that is really my hearts desire. Living a Christian life can be really hard and exhausting a lot of the time, and since I fail so often its easy to get discouraged and become complacent but I know that's not what I want for myself, or to model to my daughter. I'm gonna let that marquee marinate in my soul for a bit, maybe I'm not the only one out there reading this who needed to hear it? As always, thanks for caring about our lives and checking in. xo

1 comment:

Kemi Winn said...

I know I needed to hear it! Thanks for sharing it and thanks for the update.
I hope B loves Bible school!