August 17, 2015

It was like a bad sitcom

If you need a good chuckle on this here Monday morning, grab a cup of jo and sit back for a little tale of company dinner gone wrong.

This weekend we had some friends over for dinner, we knew them when we lived here before and sadly we've only seen them once since we moved back (life is busy!). Anyhow, they had mentioned salmon sounded good for dinner and since I rarely make seafood since Adam and B don't like it, I was thrilled to have an excuse to try a new recipe! Well, trying new recipes is tricky when you're having company... it can quickly turn into an epic fail. Well, in addition to trying a new salmon recipe I also tried a new potato recipe, the recipe said to cut up red potatoes and put them in the crock pot for a few hours, then you were supposed to add some yummy ingredients and mash them up. Before our company came, the time was up so I put my hand held blender in the crockpot to mash the potatoes and they were still too hard....which means the stuff I had put in the crockpot to season them went flying on the walls and my dress. Lovely. I put a plastic bag over my kitchen mallet and tried to smash the potatoes but...to no avail (and again, more stuff went flying on the walls and on my dress due to this method). Sigh. I cranked the crock pot to high and hoped our friends would be a tad late. Well, they were a tad late, and we gave them the 30 second house tour, and I started to make the salmon in hopes the potatoes would be done after the fish but no...still hard as rocks. GRRR. Well, the salmon was a new recipe and I knew it would be helpful to have 2 people working on it b/c you were supposed to sprinkle flour on both sides of the fish, then put honey on both sides and cook it on each side for several minutes all the while browning butter in another pan to make the sauce that goes on top. In the past I've burned my butter while browning it while working on the meat so I was smart enough to ask my friend for help (and of course, she's amazing in the kitchen...all the more reason the events that I will continue to unfold will become that much more embarrassing). So, Des is browning the butter, I'm cooking the fish and because of the searing of the fish on high heat and the smoke from the honey...the smoke detector starts going off...and its LOUD! So, my house is a smoke bomb and the beeping is obnoxious as Adam is waving a towel in front of it -AND it just happened to be the hottest day of the summer on Saturday so we couldn't open the doors to let the smoke out b/c it was over 100 degrees and our A/C was already having a hard enough time trying to keep the house cool (and it couldn't even get it to the temp it was set for b/c it was so hot). So, we get the fish cooked, the sauce made, we sit down for dinner, and aside from the potatoes being hard as rocks, the meal turned out pretty well! Salad was good, biscuits were good, salmon was a really good recipe (although truth be told, my piece could've been cooked a little more) so all in all it wasn't too too bad. Well, after dinner Al decides he wants some coffee, I never drink coffee but I have a coffee maker and I have some coffee in my freezer so he is in the kitchen working on that when all of a sudden the power goes out! So, there we are -in pitch black, no A/C and its HOT. I peek outside the windows and everyone else has power...we've blown some breakers. Ay yi yi...so Adam and Al quickly realize the problem and resolve it and we're up and running!  So between the potatoes being splattered all over the walls and my dress, the smoke detector going off, my house a hazy smoke bomb, the power completely going out, and watching our friends graciously gnawing through my hard-as-rocks-potatoes it was quite the dinner party! Who wants to come over next weekend?! Any takers???

Thankfully some sweet friends had us over for dinner last night so we had a break from cooking and were able to sit around and relax and chat the evening away...felt good. :) We also went back to church #11 yesterday and decided it was a no-go, sigh. The worship just isn't good and when we went to pick up B from Sunday School it was only her and 1 other girl...just not what we're wanting for her or us. We're realizing we might need to drive further out to find what we're looking for and at this point, we're getting desperate enough to do it. Sigh. B had another "meltdown" yesterday on the way home from our friends house, she could hear Adam and I talking about church and she started crying and said "I don't want to go to any other church besides UBC." All Adam and I could say was "us too, B, that's what we want too." Man, its hard. In the wee hours this morning B was at our door saying she couldn't fall back asleep and so I went and laid with her for a while, I took this opportunity to snuggle my girl and pray over her, thankfully due to my back pain meds I got a lot of sleep yesterday so I wasn't so out of it when she woke me this morning and I could be in the moment. Her first day of school is tomorrow, we find out who her teacher is today, and I think we're all a little apprehensive (for lack of a better word) just thinking about this time last year as we start anther year. It doesn't feel near as daunting but it also doesn't feel easy. one day at a time. To add insult to injury B wasn't feeling too well this morning, she thought she was going to throw up but just dry-heaved (sorry if that's TMI), so I'm praying she doesn't get sick, she can't miss her first day of school!!  Anyhow, that's whats going on in the Winn household...we'll take any prayers we can get! I hope everyone has a good week! xo

1 comment:

Kemi Winn said...

You are so brave! Trying a new recipe for company and one that requires so much prep at the last minute would never happen at my house.

Praying for B!!!