February 16, 2016

Better

Whew, 2016 has been a doozy (understatement). Each time I think a do-over is going to happen, we get another whammy. I started feeling better a few days ago and since B had Friday off school we thought we'd do something fun and get outta dodge for the day. We woke up and started getting ready to head to Santa Barbara for the day and as we were about to leave we saw water coming from the guesthouse...ay yi yi. Needless to say, we had to sit around all day and wait for a plumber to deal with a clogged drain...plans ruined...AGAIN. So far 2016 has been one for the record books but in a baaaad way. I'm SO THANKFUL to be finally feeling better that the other stuff seems pretty small, perspective is always good, right?

Saturday B had a birthday party for a dear friend, afterward the 3 of us got in the car and drove to Big Bear where our friends invited us to join them for the weekend, that was fun! We played in the snow, ate yummy food and had a fun time being away and just relaxing and getting a breather for the first time in a while. 2016 do-over now please?!!!

The other day I was catching up with one of my best friends in Waco, we talked for about 3 hours and we were discussing the past year and a half for me and how hard its been and all that it has entailed and she asked me what God has taught me in this time, what my take-away is (if you will) on this season of life. I told her that in all my years of life, the many Bible studies I've done, the lessons I've learned, the hard things I've gone through, etc. the "theme" or the constant that I always come back to is God's faithfulness. God is faithful when I'm not, he never leaves me or forsakes me, he never gives up on me when my faith is weak, he doesn't delight in my suffering, he doesn't walk away when the going gets tough, but he also doesn't coddle and make life easy. Like any good parent, he allows me to learn from my mistakes, he doesn't shield me from hard things, and he doesn't always tell me what the "right" answer is to the question, he gives me free will and lets me decide. But also like a good parent, he is faithful and he shows up, he is comforting in hard times and he rejoices in the good times, he gives peace when nothing is peaceful, and he hurts when I hurt so I'm never alone in my suffering. I've been doing a Bible study with a few ladies the past several months and the name of the study is "Believing God," there are several points that the author of the study is trying to "beat into you" and a couple of those points are:


*God is who he says he is
*God can do what he says he can do

I think so often we doubt God when things get hard, that's our go-to rather than instantly being trusting and trusting that he will deliver us/redeem the situation. I get so mad at myself when I do this because really...I should know better. I mean, I've been a Christ follower now for greater than 30 years, and yet my faith is so quick to weaken when the going gets tough. Its been a good reminder that God is who he says he is, and he can do what he says he can do -he has that power, its not just a thing he says. :) God is faithful, no matter what is going on in your life, you are seen and cared for and not forgotten (even if it feels like it), hang in there. xo

No comments: