April 27, 2016

The Long Road to Home

When I married Adam we had a plan, as the joke goes "If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans." And isn't that the truth?! We thought grad school, job, family, etc... Mainly we thought after years and years of grad school a job would quickly follow -ha! Anyone who has been on this long journey with us knows what a joke that is! It took 7 years for Adam to get his first job which not only "messed up our plans" but took us on a long, wind-y road to finding our home. When we took a big leap of faith and moved to Waco, Texas in August of 2010, it became clear quite quickly that Waco was home. When Adam's job took us to California the three of us experienced a hole in our hearts we couldn't ignore or fill, and it was the Waco-shaped hole of home. If you know me personally and have walked with me closely these past 2 years then you already know how much begging and pleading I have done with the Lord to take us back to Texas. Being a Christ follower is a funny thing sometimes because you have to wrestle a lot with what the Lord's plans are in relation to your desires and the two don't often add up and its hard and confusing and scary. I won't go into all the details and ins and outs of what this journey/process has been like the past 2 years, (more specifically the past 4 months) but what I will say is that God is faithful. My husband recently accepted a tenure track position at a university that is taking us back to Waco, to say we are thrilled would be an understatement. But here's the thing, I don't ever want to be "that person" who proclaims God's faithfulness (only) when things "go my way." If you've been following my blog for a while you know this isn't me at all but I am very aware of how easy it is to proclaim God's faithfulness in the good times, and I realize how hard life is/can be and I want to be sensitive to that and proclaim: God is faithful no matter what. Adam and I have often been on "the losing side" of the job hunt, we've made it to the final round and not been the one chosen. Clearly there was someone who wasn't chosen because Adam was and I know that heartache and disappointment and I don't take that hurt lightly. Adam getting the job means someone else didn't and I imagine that person is on a long road to a job or a home, I get it. As I've said more times on this blog than I can count, God is faithful even still, as true as it is that good things come in small packages (I love my Christmas stocking the best of all! :) I believe long, hard roads (often) lead to extreme gratitude, affirmation, and thankfulness. The road to home has been a long one for us, but man, it feels really good to be on it. xo

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay - I'm so very happy you get to go back home and am so looking forward to many visits to come over the years!
Love you
Rodent