January 24, 2017

Wild One

I'm really blessed to go to the church I go to, and the worship is one of the many reasons why. My friend Jameson is the worship pastor at our church and he writes most of the songs we sing, talk about talent! His lyrics are so profound and often stop me dead in my tracks. One of my favorite songs of his is called "Wild One" and I'm going to share the lyrics here. A friend of mine that I made in the recent years of living in CA has had a rough go and I've walked with her through some of it since we met. She called me this morning and I think she was needing some encouragement and a reminder of what the truth really is so I tried to do that. I texted her after we spoke and told her to buy Jameson McGregor's set on iTunes, that she wouldn't be sorry and to crank up the song "Wild One" and just rest in God's truth (everyone reading this should go buy it too :). I love when a song teaches me something I didn't know about God, or shows me a new way to see Him. When you've been in church your whole life I think it can be harder to see God in a new way sometimes (well, it can be for me anyhow) and I love that this song does that for me. I can honestly say that before I heard this song I never considered God a "wild one" but He IS!! And I love that illustration! God is wild and unpredictable and we can't figure Him out and that's such great news! As my aunt reminds me regularly "He's always up to something." Enjoy my friends. xo



overwhelming
you cannot be contained
in leather bindings
the turn of a word or phrase
overwhelming
these idols that you break
crumbling to the ground in place

you were running with iconoclast strides
god, you're wilder than we ever thought you would be
though we try, we can't pin you down
you're a wild one

you're greater

disconcerting
these figures that we form
we want more money
we want a higher bar
disconcerting
these idols that we carve
controlling like the wind to a sail

you were running with iconoclast strides
god, you're wilder than we ever thought you would be
though we try, we can't pin you down
you're a wild one

unbound
you're overwhelming
we build you a house
but you keep moving
maker
you're not done making
we gave you seven days
but you're still forming
so form these broken bodies
into gold
a great love with a lighter load
tear these temples down
stone from stone
crashing to the ground like broken chains

you keep running with iconoclast strides
god, you're wilder than we ever thought you would be
though we try, we can't pin you down
you're a wild one

you're greater

~Jameson McGregor

No comments: